Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A true original - for my friend.

This one just developed over time.   I wanted to make a bag for my friend who likes orange (and white) - I had in my head to make the pieced body front and back and started by cutting three fat quarters into varying width strips to piece together as you see in the picture.  Then as I stitched the bag together  I didn't like the height it appeared the bag would end up so after playing with the bag body - flipping this over here and folding that over there, I decided to make the flap and cut the bag and lining accordingly.  Then as I stitched the lining to the bag I stitched right along the quilting lines at the flap edge resulting in the scalp edge on the flap.  I really like that.  And finally trying to decide how to hold that flap down, I had already sewn the tab, originally expecting to just pull the tab from the back top to the front to button, so I worked that inbetween the layers of the middle of the flap then covered a large button with some of the quilted fabric I had cut from the bag when making the flap.  So, the entire point of this whole narration?  This is truly a one of a kind bag - no pattern used and I doubt I could duplicate it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment