Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Call me the bag Lady!






While browsing in a quilting shop one day I fell in love with this set of coordinating material and purchased 1/2 yard each of three coordinating patterns. I didn't even have an idea what I would do with it yet.

One of the many magazines I have picked up since getting my new toy is the Winter 2009 Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection Quilts and More. I found the directions for "Curve Appeal" (page 14-19), a bag I thought would look great in these fabrics and my daughter would like. My intent was to make her a bag for carrying groceries - she always uses cloth bags to bag her groceries.

So, I made my first bag. the original directions called for just two fabric patterns, but I decided on a third for the lining - which is the same pattern as the body top in different color combination - a negatvie/positive match. It was a little smaller than a grocery bag, but I thought it would be good for a few special items - especially considering the padding - a wine bottle or two that might benefit from the extra protection. But as soon as I gave it to her she dumped the entire contents of her purse into it and has been carrying it ever since.

Within a week she had texted me that two of her friends loved it so much they wanted one themselves - and would pay for it. So, I made each of them one (no money exchanged hands - I did it just to get the experience and practice - it's a past time for me!).
And so started a trend - I have just this weekend finished my seventh of that particular bag, plus another of a different style and have just started a new style bag I hope to finish by this coming weekend - all lovingly made for and given to friends!

I didn't have the presence of mind to take a picture of all the bags - but I have collected a few pictures of them - some taken with a cell phone camera so don't expect the quality to be great in all of them.






No comments:

Post a Comment