Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spring Tote becomes Summer

Just finished last night, from the April 2010 magazine Quilter's World, this is my take on "Spring Tote" (page 25-27).

I grabbed a couple of fat quarter bundles I had picked up - I just love the bright colors and floral pattern. With these bright colors, though, spring is not exactly what comes to my mind. So this Spring tote becomes a summer tote!

I made a couple of minor adjustments - I didn't add the tab and button, though I may live to regret that, and I enlarged the pocket on the inside, stitching down the center making it two pockets. And my quilting is a little different - in the red block I used a quilt pattern on my embroidery machine and repeated it all over - on the strips I stitched a straight line on top of the pressed back seam allowance - I always like quilting on top of that. I feel it gives it a bit more re-enforcement - then crossed it with lines at somewhat random distances vertically.

When you are working with fat quarters, the size of the cuts are not always exactly what you need so you have to get alittle creative. I chose the blue floral for the lining in contrast to the primary red fabric in the outer body. Since I didn't have enough, though, I added the blue fabric with the cirlces as a strip across the bottom and as the pocket. The picture to the right is the lining pulled out and laid as flat as I could to get a good look at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment