Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The start of it all - My Brother Sewing Machine

Last fall my daughter asked me to make a rainbow bright costume for her step daughter for halloween. Knowing that my old sewing machine has seen better days - especially before sewing the duck tape Tuxedo (another story entirely) and realizing that this costume would likely need some pretty special sewing, I decided a new machine was in order. My husband, being an avid follower of Consumer Reports, suggested the Consumer Reports "Best Buy" brother basic sewing machine which we picked up at the local discount department store for less than $200.

It sewed so easy and so beautifully! I was almost giddy. So, my husband recommended another Consumer Reports approved Brother product - the basic level sewing/embroidery machine. I gave the first Brother sewing machine to my daughter and purchased this beautiful starter embroidery machine - the Brother Innovis-900. It sews as well or better than the original machine I purchased and additionally will embroider designs up to 4" x 4".

It has been incredible and fun! I started buying up designs, online and in the sewing shop where I purchased the machine. I started collecting magazines - old and new - machine embroidery, quilting, and a couple of sewing titles. And I throw fat bundles, jelly rolls, and single cuts of what ever fabric that catches my eye and/or is being clearanced out at fabric stores and departments whereever I find myself. And hours and hours of sewing and embroidering! I think my husband might be starting to regret his recommendation a little.

Now I want a bigger machine - one that embroiders a bigger field - but I'll save that for another story, too. For now, here's (all over this blog) some pictures of what I've been making with my Brother (machine)!

No comments:

Post a Comment